Sunday, January 10, 2010

Buying and Selling music

I think that there are many different things that you have to mention and discuss when talking about buying and selling music. This is because music itself is made for many different reasons. This topic is probably one of the most controversial because of this reason, and this is why so many people get heated about this subject. Many people think that downloading music is theft/stealing, which there is a very good argument for. Then my question is, when you buy a cd is it okay for your friend to take your cd and load it on to his computer? If so, this is pretty much the idea behind such websites as limewire and other downloading sites. I think the main problem that people have with buying and selling music is that the principal of downloading is not "legal" and that is not right for the musicians because then they get no compensation. I think there can be a valid point made for both sides of every question about buying and selling music. Do artist make their music to get herd and to convey a message, or are they just making it for money? I believe that music is a great way to express oneself, and i think to all the people that play in there dorms and tribes that play at gatherings, and in no way would those people mind if others recorded them. I do understand that this is these peoples profession, and that this is how they are trying to make money. The way i see it is that the artist that can really make a product (song/cd/record) that consumers want to spend their money on are the artist that have people coming to their concerts and buying their music, and these are the people that i feel are the famous ones. I think music is a wonderful thing, and that people should be compensated for it, but i also feel that most artist do get compensated for the product they produce.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your point about lending CDs to friends and if that's basically the same as using sites like limewire. This is one of the things that bothers me, because it makes me wonder where exactly you draw the line between friendly sharing and breaking the law?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an interesting connection between the sharing of CD's and the free downloads-very nice. Where I can see a problem is where you said the famous ones are the people who hold concerts and get a fan base....if they don't make CD's how do they get enough money to put on the concert?

    ReplyDelete